- The Weak Link: How China Built in a ‘Backdoor’ Threat that Could Take Down the US Electric Grid
- “Transformers have been called by many people the ‘Achilles’ heel’ of the electric grid,” explained Joe Weiss, an engineer, and independent consultant.
- Transformers take voltage sent by power plants and convert it to a level that can be distributed. Essentially, they keep electricity flowing at safe levels.
- They are responsible for transporting 60 to 70 percent of our electricity.
- They’re also custom-made in China and experts like Weiss say, while the U.S. is busy securing its networks, China has the ability and opportunity to sabotage the equipment we rely on them to manufacture.
- Essentially, they’ve created a “backdoor” into our electric grid.
- He said this is no hypothetical warning. The U.S. has already discovered backdoor electronics in a Chinese-made transformer.
Read the original article by clicking here.