(Reuters) – U.S. governors on Wednesday sent the Trump administration a list of 428 “shovel-ready” projects they regard as high-priority for President Donald Trump’s plan to fix the nation’s infrastructure.
The list of projects cover 49 U.S. states and territories, the bipartisan National Governor’s Association said in an e-mail. The NGA will not be making the final list publicly available.
The NGA had said on Jan. 23 that it had, at the request of the White House, assembled a list of 300 projects costing billions of dollars from 43 states and territories, with more expected to come.
Trump’s Presidential campaign throughout last year included a promise to pursue a $1 trillion infrastructure program, which would come at a time when major public works projects are crumbling.
The American Society of Civil Engineers’ infrastructure report card has estimated the United States needs to invest $3.6 trillion by 2020.
(Reporting by Akankshita Mukhopadhyay in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D’Souza)